The Causey: transforming a place
Welcome to the next stage of the Causey Public Realm Project
Do you see what we see?
The Causey: vibrant, colourful, a place for people at the heart of the community, playing host to an array of engaging and uplifting arts and community events, rooted in history and community, recreating the buzz of this historically significant meeting place. A beautiful inspiring space, enabling people to create new stories for this authentic quarter bordering Edinburgh's World Heritage Site.
The Causey Development Trust is working at grassroots level to transform a neglected, car-dominated cityscape into a vibrant, people-friendly place that celebrates the history and spirit of the Southside of Edinburgh.
- To create a distinctive city landmark at the edge of the World Heritage Site, drawing visitors beyond its boundary and connecting other key public spaces such as Holyrood Park and The Meadows, that will become an asset to the Southside of the city of Edinburgh.
- To create an uplifting and inspiring community space that can play host to a wide variety of arts and community events, including farmers' markets, community celebrations and art installations, and provide outreach space for the nearby Southside Community Centre and other local partners.
- To complement and enhance the evolving university quarter by creating an accessible urban place, using high-quality design and sustainable materials, acknowledging the beneficial effect of good design in creating a sense of well-being.
- To celebrate the heritage of this overlooked yet historically significant part of the Southside, providing an engaging learning experience that draws in visitors, increases footfall in and around the area and brings together the diverse local community.
- To promote positive health and well-being through active travel by prioritising walking and cycling, and by creating opportunities for neighbourliness and community partnership.
See the latest proposals